Sunday, October 13, 2013

Motivating Readers




I am linking up with Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching on this fine Sunday morning. I'm a day late but Saturdays just go by too fast! 

In our school, we use Scholastic Reading Counts to help with comprehension. Our fourth grade team sets goals each trimester that the students need to reach. In order to MOTIVATE them to read more than the minimum, we set up a "Reading Through the Regions" board in our classes. In 4th grade, we study the four California Regions in the beginning of the year so this incorporates our social studies as well.

Here is a picture of my board (Matches my theme of course!!)

As they "leave" a region, they get a reward.

Desert Region: Juice Box (they must be thirsty from the hot desert)

Central Valley Region: Fruit snacks (lots of crops growing here)

Mountain Region: Granola Bar (Rugged mountains)

Coastal Region: Beach Ball (from the Pacific coast)

I also give them a certificate when they have been through all four regions (200 RC points).

You would be surprised how these small tokens really motivate my students. I was able to move one student over to the Central Valley this week and all of the other students were so excited she received a juice box. "LUCKY" is all I heard.

Let the reading begin!